___________________________________________________________

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Youngster denies Raciti murder

The 17-year-old Catania fan accused of murdering Chief Inspector Filippo Raciti admits throwing a metal bar, but insists he will soon be released.

While at first it was thought that the police officer was killed by a home-made bomb that exploded next to his car, an autopsy confirmed the cause of death was massive liver damage from being struck by a blunt object – that now appears to have been identified as a metal bar.

Among the 38 arrests that followed the night of rioting outside the Stadio Angelo Massimino on February 2, a 17-year-old local boy, who was not named because he is a minor, is under investigation for murder.

"I didn’t do anything wrong and had nothing to do with the death of that poor policeman," insisted the boy identified only as A.S. in newspaper ‘La Stampa.'

"When they told me what I was accused of, I went into a panic and couldn’t remember any of the details of what happened at the Stadium. There was some fighting and I was there, but I never dreamed of hitting a policeman. At one point I saw a piece of metal on the ground and threw it in the air, but that’s it.

"When I heard Raciti had died, I felt sorry, even if I didn’t know him. The police all look the same when in uniform. One thing is sure – when all this is over, I’ll never set foot in a stadium again. I’ve learned my lesson."

The teenager was caught on camera picking up the metal bar and throwing it, but the actual moment of impact on Raciti’s torso was shielded.

"When I think about what happened, I have to believe it was an accident, as nobody can really want to kill a person in such a horrible way," continued 'AS'.

"I miss my home and family, but the lawyer said I can relax. He assures me I can leave soon, because my conscience is clear."

The police and magistrates are not so sure, with reports of "clear and significant admission of guilt" from the suspect and "he admits to throwing the metal object, as shown also in the footage."

It is now said that there were traces of white paint on Raciti’s uniform – the same colour as the metal bar the teenager threw into the air.

Nonetheless, his father insists the police must shoulder the blame for the rioting outside the stadium.

"I am sorry for the Raciti family, but I have to say my son is being used as a scapegoat. I too have seen the video footage and there’s nothing to convict him," said the parent.

"The crowd trouble started when the police launched tear gas. I feel I should defend the lads who are in the stadium in that situation, as the authorities cannot think they can just fire these chemicals against people."


"He is destroyed. This is not an accusation he was expecting," the lawyer, Giuseppe Lipera, said in a interview with the Associated Press news agency.

Source: C4 Football Italia

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home